AID-India has a new Saathi (program that sponsors an individual for a period of time). His name is C.Srinivasan, a ‘young, dynamic environmentalist’ from Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India. He is the founder of Exnora Green Cross (EGC) and is the moving force behind an eco innovation in Vellore called the Zero Waste Management (ZWM). If you are wondering what that is, you are in good company. Until I read that article, I had not heard of it either. Yeah, ok..I am claiming I am good company here.The concept of Zero Waste Management (ZWM) is that a city or community should “recover” ALL waste so that zero waste gets into dumps or landfills. Quite easy to say, but extremely complex and hard to implement. The incredible part is this – Vellore district (area 6077 sq km, population over 3,026,432) is now fully into this ZWM experiment – all thanks to Exnora Green Cross (EGC). They have trained Self-Help Groups (SHGs) on waste processing and now these groups are powering the ZWM movement. (Note: My other Vellore story of this month is about one such Self-Help Groups called SHARE.) So, what exactly happens?
- Garbage is segregated at source into recyclable and organic waste.
- SHG teams collect the garbage and bring it to the processing facility.
- At the processing facility, recyclable waste is separated, cleaned, and sold for reuse.
- Animal edible organic waste (kitchen garbage like vegetable peels, etc.) is separated and fed to cows.
- Non edible organic waste is thrown into a compost pit.
- Cow dung (waste from the organic waste eating cows) goes to the biogas plant to produce energy for cooking or lighting.
- The slurry (biogas waste) is used as an agent for breaking down the other organic waste sitting in the compost pit.
- The resulting organic fertilizer is sold in the market giving rise to a whole organic farming industry.
- ZWM: Zero Waste Management
- EGC: Exnora Green Cross
- SHG: Self-Help Group
organic farms could actually save us from carcinogens and toxins~”*
organic farms will be the trend of the future coz we don’t like artificial stuffs inside our body’::